Pakkhúsið

Pakkhúsið

Opening hours

Weekends 11:00 – 17:00

Vesturgata 6

There are usually three exhibitions running concurrently at Pakkhúsið, a permanent exhibition on the history of Hafnarfjörður, an exhibition of toys, and a short-term exhibition on a chosen theme. The exhibition “Thus it was . . . “ tells the history of Hafnarfjörður and the surrounding region from the settlement to this day, with the aid of historical texts, photographs, illustrations, films, and numerous artefacts that give life to the history. In this exhibition you can learn about the German and English periods in the town’s history, and the history of its trade, fishing industry, sports and film theatres, the British occupation during WWII, and much more.

On the top floor of Pakkhúsið you will find the museum’s toy exhibition. This exhibition, designed by the award winning museum and exhibition designers Janvs Ltd., is specifically directed at children. A large collection of toys is preserved at Hafnarfjörður Museum, and a part thereof is on display at the toy exhibition. The objects are rotated regularly, so there is always something new to see at the toy exhibition.

In the Pakkhús entrance hall, travelling exhibitions or exhibitions centred on particular themes are put on each spring, and these last through the summer. They are meant to cast a light on specific periods or events in the history of the town of Hafnarfjörður and its vicinity, but can also be travelling exhibitions from abroad.

More exhibitions

Sívertsens-húsið

Sívertsens-húsið

Sívertsen’s House is the oldest house in Hafnarfjörður, built in 1803-1805 by Bjarni Sívertsen.

  • Weekends 11:00 - 17:00
  • Vesturgata 6
Bookless Bungalow

Bookless Bungalow

The Bookless Bungalow was built in 1918. It was the residence of Harry and Douglas Bookless, Scottish brothers

  • Closed over the winter time.
  • Vesturgata 32
Siggubær

Siggubær

The seaman Erlendur Marteinsson built Sigga’s house in 1902. His daughter, Sigríður (Sigga) Erlendsdóttir, was 10 years old when she…

  • Closed over the winter time.
  • Kirkjuvegur 10
Beggubúð

Beggubúð

Beggubúð is the location of the Museum of Commerce, part of Hafnarfjördur Museum. The building was constructed in 1906 on…

  • Open in summer
  • Vesturgata 6
Gúttó

Gúttó

When the Good Templars Hall was built in 1886 it was considered to be a very large building – it…

  • Contact us
  • Suðurgata 7
Strandstígur

Strandstígur

This path around the harbour passes one of Hafnarfjördur Museum’s exhibition centres. The centre houses collections of photographs depicting the…

  • Always open
  • Strandstígur